This post has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can create a post or quiz. Try making your own!
31 Things We Learned From Laura Ingalls Wilder
For those who didn't grow up in America in the Olden Days, the Little House books were rife with fascinating information.
1. What an autograph book is.
2. How to find things in a blizzard.
3. Maple sugar dropped in fresh snow makes awesome candy.
4. Hay can be twisted into sticks as a substitute for wood.
5. How to make smoked venison.
6. Grasshoppers are the devil and will eat all of your crops.
7. You can still hang your clothes out to dry when it's below freezing.
8. Use your walls to hide valuable posessions.
9. Cutting your bangs at home is a good idea.
10. A family can live in a house that's built into side of a hill.
11. Churning butter is A LOT of work.
12. Ice can be stored all summer long in sawdust without melting.
13. Corn husks make great dolls.
14. Men should have beards.
15. Anything that happens in town is more fun than what you're doing at your claim shanty.
16. Some people's dads just move them all over the place all the time.
17. You can just show up on some land, and if you live there long enough, it's yours.
18. Buttonholes are really hard to sew.
19. Almanzo Wilder was the perfect man.
20. Blonde girls wear blue ribbons and brunette girls wear pink ribbons.
21. Nellie Oleson sucks.
22. If you get stung by a lot of bees or hornets, just wrap yourself up in mud and rags until the swelling goes down.
23. It is totally normal not to kiss your husband until he has proposed to you.
24. How to make a house.
25. Getting scarlet fever makes you go blind.
26. Bonnets are the worst.
27. Ditto corsets.
28. A fur wrap and muff is the best Christmas gift.
29. When you go wading in ponds, beware of leeches.
30. Santa Claus can come even when you live in the middle of nowhere.
31. Playing with a pig's bladder is a lot of fun.
Illustrations by Garth Williams, Helen Sewell and Mildred Boyle.