We recently asked followers of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their favorite feminist Disney moments. Here are the brilliant results.
1. Elastigirl proving that women are just as strong as men in the The Incredibles.
2. Princess Jasmine rejecting her father's expectations and traditional standards of marriage.
Submitted by Miranda Hermanski, Facebook and Maddi Lewis
3. Mulan fighting in the army and saving all of China.
4. And beating all of the men by reaching the arrow in "I'll Make a Man Out of You."
5. Princess Merida breaking the tradition of marriage by shooting for her own hand in Brave.
Submitted by Miranda Hermanski, Facebook
6. Belle breaking stereotypes by being a well-educated woman in a 1800s French village.
7. And rejecting Gaston's marriage proposal and misogynistic tendencies.
8. Ariel singing this incredibly powerful line in "Part of Your World."
9. Princess Tiana prevailing against racism and never losing sight of her dream restaurant.
10. Widow Tweed royally winning the car chase against Amos Slade in The Fox and the Hound.
Submitted by Sarah Murillo, Facebook
11. Go Go's beautiful edit of a typically sexist phrase against the boys in Big Hero 6.
12. Nani raising Lilo when their parents died, and never giving up for a better life, even when she lost her job.
13. Maleficent demonstrating that true love's kiss doesn't necessarily have to be between a man and a woman.
Submitted by abbydad123
14. Meg shutting down Hercules' classic manly rescue.
15. The groundbreaking feminist song number, "Sister Suffragette," from Mary Poppins.
Submitted by Rachael Crawley, Facebook
16. Elsa escaping society's expectations of who she should be and deciding to be her true self.
17. And Anna showing her bravery by saving Elsa from Hans.
18. Marie proving women are just as physically tough as men in The Aristocats.
19. Giselle catching Robert at the end of Enchanted, proving that the prince isn't always the one who saves the princess.
20. Cruella de Vil never taking insults from anyone while being the ultimate boss of her own business.
21. The Beret Girl's fierce rejection of Bradley Uppercrust III's condescending comments in An Extremely Goofy Movie.
Submitted by Rachel Torento, Facebook
22. Esmeralda fighting for the outcasts and making sure everyone in the world has equality.
23. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather saving the kingdom with their magic in Sleeping Beauty.
24. Rapunzel finally finding her strength and standing up to Mother Gothel.
25. Mia Thermopolis' killer speech about ruling Genovia without a king in The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.
26. Pocahontas choosing to stay behind with her tribe instead of following John Smith to Europe.
27. And Walt Disney's own interpretation of Cinderella.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.