42 Things To Help You Make Little Upgrades All Throughout The House
Some new lighting, proper storage, and a few accent pieces can make a world of difference.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A set of decorative hinges, because they'll totally transform your garage door for a *fraction* of the price it would cost to replace it. Since they're magnetic, you can literally add them on in seconds and remove them whenever you need to clean the garage door.
Promising review: "The only thing I don’t like is that kids think they are real and walk up and try to hang on the handles, which obviously just come right off. I have to admit it’s hysterical, it does teach the kids to quit messing around with things they shouldn’t because they think they break them... it’s downright comical. Other than that, you would never know they are magnetic. They stay on, you can pull them off easily to wash the doors and then just put right back on. Heavy rains and they didn’t come off. It’s -20 degrees outside now, and they're still stuck on with no problems. I got three sets — one double door and one single door, looks perfect." —Rummy3
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in five options).
2. Vacuum-sealed pop-lid containers so you can organize your cereal, flour, snacks, and more in a neat way that'll upgrade the look of your pantry and keep them nice and fresh.
See a BuzzFeeder's review of the OXO pop containers (#1).
Promising review: "Great for pantry organization. I ended up with three sizes. The tall thinner ones for spaghetti. The medium sized containers fit a 5 lb. bag of flour. The largest containers fit a 7 lb. bag of brown sugar. Worth the cost if you are tired of your pantry looking messy. Based on the quality I expect these to last many years without needing to be replaced. Air tight lids work well and are very simple to use and clean." —Tonya murray
Get them from Amazon for $14.34+ each (available in 12 sizes).
3. A set of drawer organizers to keep your socks paired, your bras undamaged, and your favorite undies in sight.
The set includes four bins: one with six cells for scarves and tights, eight square cells for underwear, seven wide cells for bras, and 24 small cells for socks.
Promising review: "I love these things, they’re so versatile. I have them all over: drawers, closet shelves, cabinets. I use them for more than just underwear too. I use them for dry art supplies in open shelves and just about anywhere else I need to organize." —Kindle Mac
Get it from Amazon for $14.97+ (available in seven colors).
4. A pack of velvet hangers so you can fit more into your closet and not worry about all of your shirts sliding right off after you just finished putting your laundry away. Plus, having matching hangers will make your closet look *much* nicer.
Promising review: "These hangers are seriously low profile enough to give you close to twice the amount of space in your closet. Probably not necessarily a good thing, but I revamped my closet with these instead of donating a large portion of clothes to Goodwill (although I had already donated two other closets full until a friend recommended these hangers) and now my clothes all fit neatly! And they are sturdy, no more cracking hangers when you pull off an item of clothing in a tizzy. I'm very happy with my purchase of a few packs of these hangers. It cost pennies in comparison to a closet organizer system." —Lisa427
Get a 50-pack from Amazon for $23.99 (available in five colors, three designs, and packs of 30 or 100).
5. A printed area rug to make your living room or bedroom feel way more cozy and put-together. The neutral colors will work with all different styles of decor.
6. Some gold drawer pulls that'll completely elevate the look of your dresser or cabinets. These modern glam pulls can make old or thrifted furniture look brand-new.
Promising review: "Absolutely love these pulls. They make my thrift store bedroom dressers look like a million bucks! They look and feel like expensive pulls but are a great price. I mixed them with other style pulls they sell and they were a perfect match. I loved them so much I used them in the bathroom too. Just FYI, some of them did have some small scratches, but they are only noticeable up close." —jacksa1
Get a set of 10 from Amazon for $31.99+ (available in nine quantities and 13 sizes).
7. A gorgeous art print you can frame on the wall to make it seem like you know a thing or two about art and decor. One statement piece like this can really transform a room.
8. A TubShroom to prevent hair from clogging up your pipes and creating a gross puddle of water in your bathtub.
Promising review: "I was skeptical about this little rubber strainer, but I needed something to save my drains from the piles of hair that fall out of my head. I tried others and they all failed miserably. This thing is amazing! It fit into my standard drain perfectly, and I don't think a single hair slipped by it. It was pretty gross to see how much hair I lost in just one shower, but it was comforting to know it wasn't clogging my drain. Clean up is super easy, too. I just took a tissue and wiped it from top to bottom, grabbing all the hair as the soft rubber strainer released it all easily. Not a hair was caught in it. Best strainer I've ever had. I strongly recommend it!!!" —Lawyer For Justice
Get it from Amazon for $12.66+ (available in five colors and a two-pack).
9. A clear wall-mounted mail sorter with key hooks so you won't misplace your keys or lose any important bills. The hooks can also be a great place to store your masks.
I bought this mail sorter after being tired of having nowhere to put my mail and masks in my shared apartment. I love that I can finally stop throwing them on my desk or counter! The clear acrylic style not only looks nice, but it also gives me a peak at what's inside, making it easier to see if there's anything important I'm forgetting about (I try to keep anything important in the front). The sleek and simple design is also great because it can blend in to pretty much any decor style you have, without being an eyesore. And if you don't like the clear look, there are color options as well.
Promising review: "It's the perfect size for our keys and sunglasses. I LOVE the clear look, almost like everything is floating, people don't even notice it until you point it out - to me that's the best organization tool out there!!" —Angela M
Get it from Amazon for $11.99 (available in nine colors).
10. A Tushy bidet attachment so your 🍑 can get extra clean, while having a positive impact on your wallet and the environment.
It's designed to install in less than nine minutes, and also doesn't require any electricity.
Promising review: "I am loving my Tushy! It is powerful and so easy to install! Not gonna lie, I wish my sink was on the same wall so I could do the warm water option but it is super effective and definitely wakes you up! I believe this is the best way to keep things happily clean and, coupled with my Squatty Potty, I think this year is going to be the year of the happy BM!" —Natalie D.
Get it from Tushy for $99 (originally $129; available in two styles).
11. A sleek mirrored digital alarm clock with USB ports that'll look way better on your nightstand than a typical alarm clock AND it can charge your devices while you sleep.
Promising review: "Love love love this clock... sleek and definitely a statement piece. Alarm is subtle. It will definitely wake you up however it will not scare the B-Jesus out of you. Love the extra ports on the side to charge other things with it." —Meika B.
Get it from Amazon for $20.59 (available in two colors).
12. A Casper pillow so your head and neck can get the comfort and support they deserve. You'll be amazed how much your quality of sleep can improve once you invest in good pillows!
The anti-clumping pillow features a cotton cover with a breathable percale weave that allows for ample airflow. It's also removable, so you can throw it in the washer when needed.
Promising review: "I have tried every pillow you can think of... my neck and back always hurt when I wake up. I found myself constantly tossing and turning, never getting a full night's sleep. When you’re a mom sleep is important. I can’t lie, I was extremely hesitant to buy his product! I’m debated between this and another product and ultimately decided to give Casper a shot. BEST DECISION EVER! I find myself always able to get comfortable, never tossing and turning, always sleeping through the night!! It’s the right amount of soft to firm ratio. If you want a good quality pillow give this one a shot. It even has a guarantee! You will not regret it." —Heidi
Get it from Amazon for $65+ (available in two sizes and a two-pack).
13. A broom holder that'll organize your mop, Swiffer, duster, and other awkward items that are usually leaning against your wall and constantly falling over.
Promising review: "Absolutely love this product! I cleaned my laundry room last week and wanted to organize all my brooms, mops and even mini vacuum. This handled the job — and then some! Installed in minutes and is very strong. I feel comfortable with one of the items that was moderately heavy compared to the rest. Love the added hooks, as well." —Judyque
Get it from Amazon for $14.97.
14. A rustic metal bed so you can get that mattress off the floor and finally have a sophisticated-looking headboard to pull your whole room together.
The bed also has an adjustable base height with a 6.5” or 11” clearance, so you can keep some items stored away and out of site.
Get it from Novogratz for $249+ (available in sizes Twin–King and three colors).
15. Stackable bins to help whip your fridge, pantry, or junk drawer into shape. These allow you to give small items a home and still be able to keep everything visible.
Promising review: "Works perfectly in my fridge. Looks so much better than my old bins and can fit items nicely. Love that they are clear as it makes it easy for my toddler to see what he wants without having to take the whole bin out of the fridge. You could easily use these for various things throughout your home to organize and make your life easier. I bought several in various sizes." —runner34
Get packs of two bins from Amazon for $12.99+ (available in four sizes, so you can mix and match).
16. And a set of custom labels you can use to organize your refrigerator, pantry, or any space you want! With this beautiful system in place, your fridge will always look tidy and you won't have to worry about rummaging through every shelf trying to remember where you put the ranch dressing.
Organise Life Designs is an Australia-based Etsy shop that specializes in making labels.
Promising review: "My fridge looks so organized. The words are clear and easy to read and they look fantastic." —Jackie Mellor
17. A pan holder to maximize the space in your cabinets and help prevent your pots and pans from getting scratched up.
Promising review: "Fits and works perfectly! It was easy to put together too and honestly I wish I had bought something like this years ago as it will keep all of my non scratch pans unscratched vs the pyramid style stack I had them in." —Sarah W
Get it from Amazon for $15.97+ (available in two colors).
18. A peel-and-stick faux ceramic tile backsplash so you can accent your kitchen in that classic tiled look. It'll brighten up the room for WAY less effort (and money).
Promising review: "This turned out great! I feel like I have a new kitchen. So I read a lot of the reviews on this item and took in all the tips others offered. I sanded my wall first (I had textured paint, just sanded the area where I was applying the backsplash). Cleaned wall the night before so it would dry well. I used an adhesive spray. Measured and marked where to line up just to make sure it all went on straight as possible. As others said, It takes PATIENCE! My first two took a couple of tries (be careful — once applied, if you pull off you will pull off paint). But once I got going it went well. Spent a couple of hours applying this. But well worth the time spent. I plan on purchasing more of a different design to put in my bathroom." —H Adkins
Get a 12"x12" roll from Amazon for $31.99.
19. A rainfall shower system that'll make your bathroom feel like those fancy celebrity ones you used to admire on MTV Cribs. And not only does it look super luxurious, but it can help improve your water pressure too.
The set includes a sleek handheld shower head, a 10-inch stainless steel rain shower head, and a brass shower mixer valve. Air energy technology is used for a consistent powerful rain shower, even in low water pressure showers.
Promising review: "Read reviews and took a shot. Just finished our bathroom redo and the shower experience is wonderful. For the price, this shower system provides the luxury and comfort. No complaints so far. Contractor said slightly complex on install so I probably wouldn’t have been able to do myself. I recommend it though." —MPH
Get it from Amazon for $144.14+ (available in four finishes).
20. A roll of glossy marble contact paper to transform a countertop or DIY almost any hard surface that needs an upgrade. It'll instantly make your space look more expensive.
Promising review: "I do not have the money for a new vanity right now. Insert DIY project of covering my ugly pink bathroom vanity in marble contact paper. It looks 100% better and it’s super durable. It’s a little tricky to work with at first and then you get the hang of it. I’m buying more for my half bath! Update: my vanity still looks great a couple months later! I decided to do my table top in my laundry room and it looks great too!" —Natalie Evans
Get it from Amazon for $5.99+ (available in four sizes).
Read our marble contact paper deep dive to learn more about why people love it so much!
21. A fruit and veggie hammock for a fun and unique way to store your fresh fruit — it'll look adorable in your kitchen and save you valuable counter space.
22. A velvet accent chair to add an elegant touch to the corner of your room and provide extra seating when you have guests over.
Promising review: "Super easy assembly, only took a minute to figure out which direction the legs go. The fabric is ridiculously soft! Very happy with my purchase, this chair feels nice and sturdy. I am happy with the back support and somewhat firm cushioning that you don't sink in to too much. It feels just right!" —Mischief
Get it from Amazon for $129.99 (available in four colors).
23. Sleek soap dispensers so you can ditch all the clunky plastic bottles in your bathroom for something more luxe-looking and uniform.
Promising review: "I purchased these to use as shampoo, conditioner, and body wash dispensers. I wanted our shower to look like a spa! They are great quality and many people I know have copied our idea, so they are a hit! Very high quality, the plunger part is always the most important part. These are metal and not plastic, something which seems to be hard to find when looking for dispensers." —Rebecca Morea
Get set of two from Amazon for $13.99.
24. A bottle of wood polish and conditioner to transform your old, worn-down furniture into a dazzling new focal point of your room.
Promising review: "OMG! This is the most AMAZING product! We inherited some antique furniture from the '30s that had been in storage forever... it was dry and dirty and not much to look at. I used this product on it and the oak wood literally came alive showing the beautiful grain and texture of the wood. I have since used it on my oak kitchen cabinets and they look AMAZING! I will never use anything else other than this product on my wood surfaces! No greasy feel... fantastic smell!" —Tiffany Sadowski
Get a bottle from Amazon for $8.98.
25. A locker-style end table guaranteed to be the new conversation piece in your living room. This quirky cool accent can give your space a pop of color and the two shelves behind the door provide hidden storage for any random clutter you have floating around.
Get it from Novogratz for $149 (available in four colors).
26. A rust stain remover that'll get rid of the unappealing rust that's holding your bathroom back from being #goals. Just spray the area, walk away for a few minutes, and give it a wipe and rinse.
Promising review: "I used it on our tubs, toilets, sinks, and shower. It took one bottle of this stuff to achieve the same result as three bottles of other brands. I will buy this again hands-down. I just sprayed, walked away for a few minutes, and wiped and rinsed." —Carrie D.
Get it from Amazon for $12.18.
27. Some motorized custom shades for anyone tired of wrestling with the strings on your blinds. And since they are made to order, you can ensure they'll fit your window perfectly.
The blackout shades can be controlled via a remote or your Alexa or Google Assistant device.
Promising review: "While a bit spendy, these blinds are great! The customer service is impeccable and they are very responsive and were able to work with my poor measuring skills to get me sorted with a new set that only required a motor swap! After doing it twice because I put the reset button the wrong way I'm back installed and they work great!!!! Thank you!!" —Johnny X.
Get them from Amazon for $173.99+ (available in eight colors; all orders are custom sized).
28. A nontoxic leather cleaner and conditioner you can use to help remove dirt, oil, tough stains, and grime from your furniture that's lookin' a little grody.
And make sure you mix this concentrate with water before using!
Promising review: "My 15-year-old leather sectional hadn't been cleaned or conditioned in three to four years because I couldn't find anything that worked well without causing it to look blotchy. The color was also fading and I thought it was a goner. After some elbow grease, the sectional looks great! It's now back to its original color without being blotchy. More importantly, the suppleness has returned. I can actually say that it looks as good as the day we bought it." —jellybean55
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in two sizes).
29. A set of stair riser decals that'll jazz up your staircase and give that seemingly mundane area of the house some personality.
Bleucoin is a small biz based in India that specializes in tile decals.
Promising review: "I LOVE these stair riser decals. They were super easy to use, they’re a nice thick vinyl so they’re not flimsy. It was shipped and delivered very quickly and the quality is great. I was able to put them on myself in less than an hour. I’d definitely recommend!" —Jennifer Dwyer
30. A heavy-duty grout cleaner to help you remove product residue, dirt, and stains from your ceramic or porcelain tile floor.
Apply the cleaner directly to the grout, let it sit for 5–10 minutes, give it a scrub, and then rinse with warm water.
Promising review: "I never leave reviews on Amazon but this grout cleaner definitely deserved a review. I tried three other cleaners before buying Grout-eez and they did nothing but waste my time and money. Grout-eez got my grout perfectly clean in no time, plus it was easy to use and no oder. I'll never use another grout cleaner." —Tyler
Get it from Amazon for $19.95.
31. A floor mirror perfect for all your OOTD photos. You can hang it on the wall, lean it against the wall, or use the stand. It can help make the space look bigger and the thin frame won't clash with your decor, no matter what vibe you're going for.
32. A wall-mounted electric fireplace to create a cozy ambiance inside the house. It has various brightness and flame speed options, as well as 12 color options for the flames and flame bed. It has touch screen buttons and a remote control too, allowing you to customize it while lounging on the couch.
Promising review: "Installation was quick and easy, it's very very slim to the wall profile wise. The heat output is great and it's quiet. It's heating approximately 1000-sq. foot basement to comfortable levels. I was frozen down here, now I just set the fireplace on low and it's 72 degrees. Plus it looks awesome, the remote is easy enough to use. I've had tons of compliments on it." —m.code
Get the 50" fireplace from Amazon for $349.99 (available in five sizes).
33. A set of floating bookshelves for a clever way to store your growing collection of novels, biographies, and self-help books. Colorize them, and it'll look like cute decor!
I love my floating bookshelves because they save a lot of space and since I colorized them, they look like fun decor in my room. It definitely helps me get excited about reading more since they're so cute and visible. The shelves were also super easy to hang and, as you can see, they're very sturdy.
Promising review: "These invisible book shelves are great, they worked perfectly for us. They are very sturdy and hold a lot of books, I did not overload my shelves for visual reasons, but they could have held more books. I would highly recommend these shelves, they are a unique focal point in a room." —Christin Tobey
Get a four-pack from Amazon for $29.99 (also available in a three pack).
34. An LED twinkle light curtain to give a cozy, illuminating warmth to any room in your home.
Plug it into an outlet, and the 300 warm LEDs will make your wall or window glow. Oh, and they have eight different mode settings for a nice, cozy twinkle. They're even waterproof so you can use them outside!
Promising review: "Perfect for my small apartment! These lights added such a cozy touch to my dining room!" —Brandon Youngman
Get it from Amazon for $17.99+ (available in warm white or multicolor).
35. A pack of two velvet throw pillow covers with a pom-pom trim that are luxe, stylish, and available in tons of great colors to accent your couch.
Promising review: "These pillow cases are so soft and cozy! The color is true to the picture, a nice deep red, and the material itself is cozy and velvety. The little pompoms are actually very much secured to the pillow, and I've never experienced any of them coming loose, and I am using them daily. The zippers are very well hidden without being difficult to use, too." —Al
Get a set of two from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in seven sizes and 23 colors).
36. A pretty botanical shower curtain to provide your bathroom with a serene feel, like walking through a garden. With such a detailed shower curtain as the focus, the rest of the bathroom accessories will easily fall into place.
Promising review: "This curtain is gorgeous! It is a bit sheer, so use a solid liner if you want full