We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A "defunk" spray that uses lightweight tonic and plant extracts to neutralize odors from your hair and scalp, ensuring that your head smells like lavender and chamomile no matter how much you've been sweating.
Uncle Funky's Daughter is a Black woman-owned company that was acquired by Renee Morris in 2014. She has used her own 20+ year natural hair journey to expand the natural hair care line.
Promising review: "Smells so good and is not overbearing at all. I've tried a lot on my locs and this is the best I've found in five years!" —Loe55
Get it from Amazon for $15.61.
2. A de-frizzing dry conditioning spray to tame up to 92% of the frizz that's holding you back from a phenomenal hair day. This wonder spray helps to add softness, smoothness, and shine to hair by replenishing its natural oils. It's also a great solution for using in-between wash days.
It works on both straight and curly hair textures!
Promising review: "With thick, curly hair, I am always on the lookout for a product to tame the frizz ball! This combined with Living Proof Curl leave-in conditioner (editor's note: this product is discontinued, but here's a similar option), this really does the job! During an outdoor wedding in Napa last weekend, my hair was lovely and curly without frizz." —calgal77
3. A hair finishing stick helpful for taking care of those annoying flyaways that just aren't cooperating thanks to the humidity. Now those high ponytails and topknots you've been rockin' all summer can last for days at a time.
4. Or an edge control gel that'll help lay edges and baby hairs for a sleek look without the flaking and residue. That humid, muggy air doesn't stand a chance!
BUT we want to add that no one should feel pressure to lay their edges, unless they way want to! Check out, "Just A Friendly PSA That You Don't HAVE To Lay Your Edges Down If You Don't Wanna."
Promising review: "Hands down! The best edge control I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. Stayed all day! No flakes and non greasy! And this one is not even the strongest in the line. Love this product!" —Seabea2013
Get it from Amazon for $4.99+ (available in four sizes).
5. A giant pack of velvet hair scrunchies, because they're really comfortable AND cute for when you need to throw your hair up in a messy bun or pony. There are so many color options, you def won't struggle finding one to match your outfit.
I have thick curly hair and I wear one almost every day! I don't have to worry about them snapping or hurting my head.
Promising review: "Perfect! Purchased these as a last-minute Christmas gift for my daughter and they arrived super fast. Every single one is perfect, the velvet is soft and they are well made. My daughter absolutely loves them and there is literally a color to go with everything. The colors range from some darks, medium tones, pastels and even some brights. Highly recommend, very very pleased with this purchase!!" —Lisa S
Get a 60-pack from Amazon for $9.99.
6. A lemongrass leave-in conditioner that uses natural ingredients to lock moisture in your hair and avoid weighing it down, so you don't have to worry as much about the sun drying it out. It's infused with essential oils that help smooth hair and give it a soothing lemony scent.
Alikay Naturals is a Black woman-owned brand sold in retailers all over the world. The brand uses Caribbean-inspired ingredients to create not only natural hair products, but feminine products, baby products, candles, and more.
Promising review: "I originally ordered the 8-ounce of this and as soon as I finished I ordered the larger size. This is very moisturizing. It soaks into my hair and keeps it moisturized. I use this in conjunction with the Growth Oil and Shea Yogurt for amazing twist out results. The consistency is thicker than water and it smells like lemongrass. My only complaint is the nozzle on the spray bottle. It shoots out in a stream instead of a mist. That is the only reason this does not get 5 stars because I feel like the nozzle wastes unnecessary product." —Lakesha Ellard
Get it from Amazon for $19.55.
7. A 42-pack of flexible foam curling rods so you can create lively curls with minimal effort and no added heat. Just put them into damp or moisturized hair, leave them in for a few hours (or sleep in them) and your hair will have beautiful, bouncy curls. No need to make a hot day even hotter with a curling iron.
Promising review: "I can't believe I waited so long to buy these beauties. These curlers are incredibly easy to use and they give you gorgeous curls that last for days. I have tried every heatless curling method there is — sleep styler, braiding, boho headband wrapping, and every other tutorial on YouTube — and this is the only one that ACTUALLY works." —DW
Get them from Amazon for $12.99.
8. A pack of stretchy, durable, nonslip hair ties, because they won't snap while you're trying to make an Ariana Grande-style high ponytail.
Promising review: "They're worth every dollar! It's not quite like any other hair tie I've seen before. It's really thick, very expandable, and super durable. I have thick, coarse, nappy, natural, African American hair and these certainly do the job! I don't care what type of hair you have or how much of it you got because these will do the job. And they won't rip out your hair while doing it." —Gracey
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $11.29 (available in five colors and packs of eight).
9. Or a pack of transparent spiral hair ties that can help prevent ponytail headaches and bumps, while still allowing you to have a super cute up-do and keep the hair off your neck.
Kitsch is a woman-owned accessory brand that was founded in 2010. They also sell cute scrunchies, cloth face masks, satin pillowcases, and more. I own and love a hair towel from the brand, you can check out my review here (it's #17).
Promising review: "I’m obssesed with these! I have thick curly hair so rubber bands and the ribbon elastics always dent my hair. Even when I straighten my hair, those type of hair ties also dent my hair. With these coils, my hair is secure whether it’s straight or curly. When I remove it, my hair is easily fixed back into place. These do stretch out after you use it for a while, but it is easily fixed. If you blow-dry them, the heat will cause it to shrink back to its original size and it is as good as new!" —Stephanie S.
Get a pack of four from Amazon for $5.99 (available in 10 colors).
10. An innovative hair gel for curly hair that will actually give you crunch-free, shiny curls. Just evenly distribute a capful or more to your damp, clean, and detangled hair and it'll provide a soft to medium hold that'll look fab all day, despite the high temps.
Miss Jessie's is a Black woman-owned business that was founded by sisters Miko and Titi Branch in 2004. Inspired by their late grandmother, Jessie Branch, the sisters have built a very successful line of natural hair products consisting of styling cremes, moisturizers, and deep conditioning treatments for natural hair. They also own a salon in Florida that specializes in natural/curly hair textures.
Promising review: "I am amazed by this product. I have natural wavy/curly, fine hair. Every other product leaves my hair crispy and limp. This give my hair soft curls with bounce! I’m in love!!!!!" —Lala
11. Or a blueberry control jelly, because your next selfie is going to thank you for that bomb curl definition. It's formulated with organic blueberry extract and raw castor oil to help define, defrizz, and hold your curls.
This hair gel has no silicones, sulfates, parabens, artifical oils, colors, or fragrances.
Curls is a Black woman-owned business founded by Mahisha Dellinger in 2002. The brand has become very popular over the years and has even been used by celebrities such as Halle Berry, Alicia Keys, Nia Long, Ashanti, and more.
Promising review: "The best product I have EVER used on my fine, curly hair! It defines all the curls without weighing them down and smells AMAZING. It also lasts for a few days, which is always a plus for curly hair." —Monica
Get it from Amazon for $15.21 .
12. A super absorbent microfiber hair towel to cut your hair drying time in half, without adding extra heat damage or causing it to frizz, like your regular towels do. We simply can't afford extra frizz in the summertime.
Ever since I started using a microfiber hair towel, I hardly ever use a blow-dryer anymore. I'd rather not add heat to my curly hair unless totally necessary, so I'll wash my hair at night, wrap it in a microfiber towel and let it dry on its own. It helps my curls feel much healthier — and it keeps my hair out of the way while I'm doing my skincare routine.
Promising review: "If you have naturally curly hair, you need this towel! I don't know what is at work but it definitely reduces frizz and my curls come out much nicer after using this towel. It would be even better if the towel was a smidge larger so it would feel more secure while wrapped around my head. Even so, it's a great product and I recommend it to my curly-haired friends." —KShats
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in two sizes).
13. A lightweight multi-purpose oil infused with pure coffee seed and castor oil that'll moisturize the hair and scalp, while also giving it a glossy, smooth look and promoting hair growth.
Bomba Curls was founded by Lulu Cordero and inspired by her Afro-Dominicana roots. The products are meant to help curly-haired folks naturally boost growth and achieve maximum length retention.
Promising review: "Very lightweight and has a great smell to it as well. It did not weigh down my hair and it gave my hair great shine through out the week." —Nordstrom Customer
14. A satin-lined bandie, because it's gentle and protective on all hair types and perfect for keeping your hair out of your face. The stretch knit and satin combination makes these comfy, versatile, and super cute — all without causing hair breakage or frizz.
15. Or a vibrant head wrap that'll brighten up your look and save you on those days when you just do not want your hair touching you. You can wrap all of your hair in it, use it as a headband, or even as a hair tie for a quick updo.
Cee Cee's Closet is a Black woman-owned business. The accessories are designed by founders Chioma and Uchenna Ngwudoand and then handmade by artisans in Nigeria.
I have a head wrap and it is so sturdy, yet super comfortable. It does an amazing job of staying in place and keeping my curly hair out of my face. They are 100% cotton and lightweight so you can wrap with ease. I love playing with the different ways to wear it. You can knot it, fold it up, tie it in a bow, etc. — there are so many fun ways to rock these!
16. A Neutrogena clarifying shampoo for cleansing your hair of product build-up, residue, dirt, and sweat. After getting all the gunk out, it'll be much easier to style.
Clarifying shampoos can dry out your skin and/or hair if you use them too often, so we recommend only using them once a week!
Promising review: "This shampoo removed months/years of product build-up in my hair that I didn't even know I had. After just one wash, my hair felt lighter, finer, more voluminous, and I needed less styling products to achieve the same results. But be careful not to use this too often as it can dry out your hair. I have long, dark fine hair and I use this about once every two weeks, or once every four to five washes." —Kat
Get it from Amazon for $5.29.
17. A bottle of Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo mist to spritz your hair with after a workout or running around all day in the heat. It uses white bamboo extract and silica to help absorb oil and refresh your sweaty hair.
Promising review: "I was SO excited to use this product and it definitely lived up to the hype. I've used the BB Pret products for years, but this is particularly good for post-workout hair issues (yes, even after really sweaty workouts!). Air drying works great, but a quick blow-dry to speed up the process also works wonders." —EVRE813
Get it from Sephora for $30.
18. A tingling mint scalp conditioner from Taraji P. Henson's haircare brand to help nourish your scalp and promote hair growth. The tri-touch applicator helps ensure you're really getting the product on there. It'll instantly soothe and moisturize that hot, itchy scalp.
TPH by Taraji is a haircare line created by actress Taraji P. Henson, known for her roles in Empire, Hidden Figures, Think Like A Man, What Men Want, and MANY more. The products take a scalp-first approach to promote healthy hair growth for all textures.
Promising review: "I absolutely LOVE the way this made my scalp feel. It has a tingly cool sensation. A lot of products say this but this one delivers. It left my hair feeling very conditioned and soft to touch after the rinse-out. I can't wait to try the other products in this line." —Humbleeyes
19. Batiste cleansing foam, because it instantly refreshes hair for a quick way to make your hair look "done" without having to bother with water, brushing, or leftover residue. There are still many Hot Girl Summer shenanigans to be had — we don't have time to waste giving our hair a full wash every single day.
The foam formula is ideal for normal, curly, and dry hair textures, as it gently adds moisture. But, if you have more oily hair, the spray dry shampoo will likely work better.
Promising review: "Amazing! I've used their dry shampoo before, but this stuff leaves no residue! I love it. It's especially great because I have colored hair, and it lasts so much longer when I can get a couple of extra days between washes with this stuff! Also, it smells really fresh and takes away the oily look!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $7.24+ (available in four formulas).
20. A refresher spray for locs, braids, corn rows, and scalp care that you can use on wet or dry hair. It contains aloe vera, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil to help with any dry, itchy scalp situation.
21. A Drunk Elephant scalp scrub great for all hair types — it uses an AHA/BHA acid blend to dissolves dead skin cells and product buildup, making it especially great for an oily scalp that could use a fresh start.
Promising review: "I have struggled with dandruff/dry scalp for 10+ years, and have tried everything with no luck. This stuff works! I follow the directions, leave it on for 10 to15 mins, and follow with DE shampoo and conditioner. I noticed a huge improvement within one wash! I noticed 80% of the flakes were gone. I have used this product several times now and my head is completely clear of dandruff. The price tag is worth it!" —Emily042
Get it from Sephora for $36.
22. A Living Proof dry shampoo to help eliminate the oil, dirt, and sweat chillin on your scalp. Just spray it on your roots and comb through your locks to absorb excess oil and give your hair a nice refresh.
Promising review: "I have tried over 50+ dry shampoos and the LP one is by far my choice out of all of them. I have very processed hair almost black naturally and I am a blonde now ;) I avoid washing daily for many reasons so the need for a dry shampoo is necessary. The feel of LPs is light, fresh and it smells lovely. Do not leave a heavy residue, easy to use." —Tam Dirk