1. Marieke Voorsluijs of Amsterdam felt sad that her son hit the age when he suddenly didn’t wan’t to hug her anymore. So Voorsluijs did what any mom would do — she spent months knitting a life-size replica of her son to cuddle with.
She explained about the project to BuzzFeed:
“I am a professional knitter who likes to knit weird things for my brand Club Geluk. We knit realistic everyday stuff with lots of details and even wrote a book about it. We knit hams, tv’s plants, etc. To set the bar a little higher regarding my knitting skills i thought of knitting my son. He liked it and we worked together on it. The reactions during the process were so diverse from creepy to beautiful that we decided to make some photos in real life to place the weirdness in context. It was a fun art family art project!
When it was finished we thought it would be a great idea for mothers with to much love for their children and need to cuddle. So they could knit there own cuddly son! My knitted son consists of: a knitted head with cap, hands with nails and watch, knitted trousers, a knitted sweater with an obstinate slogan, knitters sneakers and knitted ipod. Actually the knitted son has characteristics of both my sons. The other one had just grown so much during the process that the smaller one was only able to wear it when it was finished. “
2. The doll took about two months to make, she told BuzzFeed. Her son and his grandmother both helped.
She told Bored Panda:
“My son is reaching puberty. We used to cuddle all the time, but those days are becoming scarce. Now he rather hangs with friends, plays with his phone and listens to his iPod. Exactly according to nature’s plan. I am a good mother, so of course i accept this and I am happy he is a healthy kid.”
3. Voorsluijs is well known in the knitting world for her site Club Geluk , which comes up with creative unknittable” replicas of real world objects and whimsical designs.
The doll came out of a creative discussion with her son about how to visualize the growing gap between his needs for personal space and her need to “smother him with love.”
“Actually the knitted son has characteristics of both my sons,” Voorsluijs said. “The other one had just grown so much during the process that the smaller one was only able to wear it when it was finished.”
- Saturday is Trump's 100th day in office. We found an average of about one false statement per day from him and his aides so far 💯
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival turned into a total shitshow. Headliners dropped out and guests tweeted photos of bare-bones food and lodging 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- A teen had a remarkably petty response when her ex asked for his prom money back: She paid him in all pennies 😏