1. Ever wonder WHY you get certain weird Facebook ads?
Facebook has been keeping tabs on you (shocker!), and it has a list of things you’re interested in so that advertisers can target people with those specific interests. It also allows you to see that list (aka “preferences”) and even edit it.
But it’s a little tricky to find, so here’s an easy walk-through. I guarantee you’ll find something in your list that is totally weird and inexplicable.
2. First, go into “Settings” (at the top right corner), then into “Ads.”
3. Then click “Edit” on the part that says “Ads based on my preferences.”
4. Go into your Ad Preferences.
6. You’ll see a bunch of different categories. Most people will have hundreds of “preferences.”
7. You’ll notice that a lot of these “preferences” are really, really……….. weird.
8. There are categories like “Stalking”
9. And under foods, “Plant life-form”
10. Here are just some of the things that BuzzFeed staffers found listed in their “preferences”:
Away from family
Away from hometown
Types of Business entity
Dundee United F.C. *(a small Scottish soccer team)
birth without fear
Tins and shades
System of a Down discography
Technology late adopters
Professional wrestling holds
Time *(under the “Travel, Places, and Events” section)
Relationship status: single
Rings of Saturn
11. Good news: If you want to get rid of these, you can by hovering over and then clicking the X.
Hopefully now I won’t be targeted by ads for my interest in………toilet?