2. But if you search for the eggplant (the universal emoji for penis)… NO TAGS FOUND.
Instagram blocks certain hashtags that have graphic or harmful content, like #porn or pro-anorexia terms like #thinspo. This doesn’t mean there isn’t content on Instagram with those tags, but they purposely block them from search.
It appears that Instagram is smart enough to know that eggplant = penis in emoji-speak. (You can’t search for #penis either.)
3. Even when people are definitely using it! We tested it out and this won’t come up in search:
5. RING THE ALARM. IT’S TIME TO #FREETHEEGGPLANT!
BuzzFeed News has reached out to Instagram for comment.
Instagram confirmed to BuzzFeed News that the eggplant emoji is indeed blocked from search because it consistently is used for content that violates their community guidelines.
- Russia has been blocked from serving on the UN Human Rights Council in a surprising vote.
- A woman's 85-year-old grandpa was the flower girl at her wedding ❤️