James Honeybone is 20 years old, has plugs in his ears, tattoos, a lip ring, loves heavy metal, and is on the Great Britain Olympic fencing team. As soon as I saw his awful mugshot-style official portrait, my heart skipped a beat and I knew he was my favorite fencer since Kat from Real World: London.
There’s 3 different types of fencing — épée, saber, and foil — with slightly different rules about where on the body you can hit and if hits with the side of the sword or just the tip count. Honeybone’s event is individual sabre fencing (there’s also a team version), where you can hit with the sides of the sword as well as anywhere on the opponent’s upper body, including arms.
Here’s why you should be hoping James Honeybone stabs the other guys as hard and as often as possible with his sabre. Win that gold!
9. But now he’s got a cool pompadour
- Donald Trump will remain an executive producer on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" while he's president.
- The Oakland warehouse where 36 people were killed last week may have never been subject to a fire inspection — a yearly requirement.
- John Glenn, a pioneering astronaut and the first American to orbit the Earth, has died at 95. Godspeed, Glenn 🚀🇺🇸
- Uber finally laid out hard rules for riders: No guns, sex, or barfing, please 🚗❌