1. On Sunday, reports first began that a deal with Iran over its nuclear program would not be reached and the talks would likely be extended. On Monday morning, the extension is confirmed around 8 a.m.
The extension of the talks, the second this year, is considered a failure for the administration.
2. At 8:53, an administration official says Secretary of State John Kerry is expected to speak around 10 a.m. ET.
3. Just after 9 a.m., the New York Times reports that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will resign.
4. At 9:28, the White House announces that not only will Obama announce the resignation on Monday, Obama will speak Monday morning at 11:10.
5. At 10:14, an administration official now expects Kerry to also speak around 11 a.m. ET, rather than 10.
6. Obama and Hagel speak on time at 11:10.
7. And Kerry comes on right after just before 11:30.
8. What's the big news of the day?
Katherine Miller is the political editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Katherine Miller at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.