Update on April 11: Summit Entertainment will divide Allegiant in two movies, following in the franchise footsteps of Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games. Allegiant: Part 1 will be released on March 18, 2016; Part 2 will come out on March 24, 2017. The rest of this post will demonstrate why that is less than welcome news to those who have read the concluding book in the Divergent trilogy.
2. Did you see Divergent and like it?
3. Maybe you’re excited for more movies.
4. I liked Veronica Roth’s young adult book series too. And then I read the third book, Allegiant, which came out in the fall. WARNING: Stop reading now if you’re spoiler averse.
6. She sacrifices herself for her brother in a suicide mission that is a key component to their final fight — but honestly, I can’t even explain what she did or why. Also, I both hope and don’t hope that people do this.
7. In an interview with BuzzFeed, the movie’s co-star Theo James (Four) said he likes that Tris dies.
“I thought it was a natural — I thought it totally made sense. Her whole philosophy in life is selflessness and giving. She’s almost like a semi-Christ figure in that way. She’s endlessly selfless, and it seem like an obvious, natural course for her to give her life for the sake of others,” he explained. (For more on James, click here.)
8. Shailene Woodley (Tris) also liked Allegiant’s ending.
She told Entertainment Weekly: “I was stoked. I thought that it was such a badass decision of Veronica Roth, and so incredibly powerful. I love that she didn’t sort of buy into the breakdown of what most young adult books, like, the outline of what’s happened in previous young adult books. Men die all the time in films – heroes do. But a lot of sweet heroines don’t. And so I thought it was a very powerful, profound decision on her part. And I really love that she had the courage and the bravery to do that.”
12. But Tris’ death, in and of itself, isn’t the problem (though it may be for a movie franchise). In Allegiant, the meaning of the story disappears. What was the trilogy about? It’s just a poorly rendered letdown. Roth certainly was aware of fans’ wailing.
Here she is at the recent premiere of Divergent in Los Angeles.
- After the health care fail, it's unclear if Republicans and Trump will find consensus on other big ticket items.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃