1. Pizza tossing can save lives.
Chefs have perfected the toss of the dough, moving their hands in a circle to achieve maximum efficiency. Scientists studied their movements to design motors mimicking those circles. Except instead of tossing a rotor once a second, the motors toss them a few million times a second.
2. Pizza makes economics less boring.
According to the Pizza Principle, a loose law proposed by a New York lawyer back in the 1980s, the slice of a pizza has predicted the price of a subway ride since the ‘60s. Whether the parallel is alive is still debated, but pizza’s power as a barometer is indisputable.
4. Deep-dish pizza may have more antioxidants.
Chemists fiddled with whole-wheat pizza crusts and found that longer baking times increased antioxidants up to 60%. Even cooler (or hotter?): Higher oven temperatures upped them by as much as 82%.
6. Pizza’s components can help with the poops…
While no amount of pizza can prevent norovirus (Price Is Right trombone here), scientists are looking into harnessing carvacrol’s power for use as a sanitizer. (The concentrated version of it is intolerable, so don’t even consider it.)
8. If you’re drinking beer, you might as well have a slice.
“Pizza is loaded with rich stuff, especially cheese,” says Michael Agnew, certified cicerone at A Perfect Pint. “It needs a beverage partner that will scrub all that stuff away. Carbonation and hops do that extraordinarily well.”
For beer fans: He recommends a malty beer like Vienna lager with tomato-based pizzas because the sweetness of the malt soothes the sauce’s acidity. Science!
9. You save money!
Well, only if you’re spending it in the first place. An intrepid pizza fan at NPR’s Planet Money plotted over 70,000 pizza prices and found you should always order the larger pizza.
Why? Reach into your cobwebbed math knowledge: The area of a circle increases with the square of the radius, so a 16-inch pizza is four times as big as an 8-inch one!
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.