1. Harvestmen (better known as daddy longlegs) are classified as arachnids and have just one set of eyes.
4. The new harvestman fossil, shown here in a high-resolution x-ray, has both.
5. Modern (and adorable) harvestmen embryos only have a single pair of median eyes.
The white arrows show lateral eye-field areas, which never actually develop. The black arrows show the domains that eventually form the median eyes.
6. Although harvestmen are eight-legged and arachnids, they’re not actually spiders: They’re closer to scorpions, mites, and ticks!
8. Because exoskeletons don’t preserve well, this fossil will hopefully fill some evolutionary gaps about harvestmen and their successful existence.
- The Republican health care bill is all but dead after President Trump asked Speaker Paul Ryan to scrap a vote when it was clear it wouldn't pass.
- Paul Ryan was forced to admit that "Obamacare is the law of the land" after the failure of the Republican health care bill.
- It's time for Ivanka Trump to "stand for women" against Republican health care policies, says Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards.
- Donald Trump had a photo op in a semitruck. The photos were too good not to become a meme — and the internet delivered 🚛👍