1. On June 24 the Curiosity rover celebrated its first Martian year on the planet — 687 Earth days, to be exact.
Here it is using a camera at the end of its arm to snap a self-portrait in front of its latest drilling site, a mystical place called Windjana.
4. The rover first drilled into a lakebed and found ingredients and conditions that could support microbial life.
That is, if life ever existed. Here’s the first sample of powdered rock drilled last February, which is basically filled with space Pixy Stix.
5. Curiosity can even feed itself rock powder for its own internal analytical laboratories.
Scientists hope to compare the samples from the various sites to determine the interaction between rock and where water formally flowed — and hopefully gain more insight into the environment of early Mars.
7. Watch the full update below!
Happy one-year anniversary, bud!
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘