1. There were high fives
Last night the Mars Science Laboratory successfully landed on Mars after a long, difficult journey that started in November of last year. Needless to say, the people who worked on the project were pretty stoked.
2. There was gesticulating
3. There was weeping
4. There was clapping
“Great Mars-going, everybody”
5. There was howling
“Hey, Curiosity, can you hear me? Of course you can’t, you’re on MARS.”
6. There was waving
Guy on the right, he gets it.
7. There was Olympics-style posing
8. “Bro, look, we did that”
9. There was a “good game, good game, good game” line
10. There was grinning
11. “Hey, where did my robot go OH LOOK THERE IT IS, ON A DIFFERENT PLANET”
12. There was fist-pumping
13. “WHO just put a robot on Mars?? That’s right.”
14. There were sweet ‘dos
15. “No, no, really, it was nothing”
16. There was hugging
17. There were sighs of relief
18. There was jumping
19. There was Alex Trebek
“It was thiiiiiis cool”
20. There was “YEAHHHHHH”ing
21. And of course, there was tension
23. But then there was Mars
24. “Friggin Mars right there”
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Brexit leader Nigel Farage drew parallels between British citizens' vote to leave the European Union and some Americans' support for Trump.
- US Soccer suspended Hope Solo for 6 months after she called Sweden's team "cowards" during the Rio Olympics ❌⚽️