1. Android’s Top Albums: Young, Sorta Cool
What’s going on here: Since this is Google Play, and nobody really uses Google Play outside of Android, this lists reflects the purchases of actual Android phone owners. People buying albums on their phones.
Android already skews young, and it’s a fair assumption that the demographic most comfortable with their phones as their primary music storage devices are teens.
2. iOS’s Top Albums: Basically Just Top 40
What’s going on here: iOS, while not the most popular mobile platform by units sold, has by far the most popular music store. The top albums on iOS are the the top albums on iTunes — the top music retailer in the world. What’s popular here is by definition just popular, so it doesn’t say much about iOS users in particular.
It does say something about these platforms’ relative ecosystems, however: Android’s is smaller and more focused, while Apple’s is very large and diffuse.
3. Windows Phone: What the Hell?
What’s going on here: Well, this is a bit of an odd one, at least at first glance. It’s neither recent nor broadly popular list.
Not much is known about Windows Phone demographics, but they likely wouldn’t explain much. Since Windows Phone’s music store is the Xbox Music Store, its largest customer base comes to it through consoles, not phones. Think of it this way: Android’s ecosystem is based around the phone, Apple’s is based around every platform (Phone, tablet, TV and iTunes for Mac and Windows), and Windows Phone’s is based around the Xbox 360.
In light of the Xbox vote this list comes into focus: Imagine if the Billboard charts were determined by the buying habits of millions of young, male, Call of Duty-playing gamers. That’s how an ancient Linkin Park album end up in the top 10.
Tomorrow: The platform’s most popular apps!
- Turkey has become a magnet for violence. The country has suffered 434 terror attacks in the last year.
- Since Britain's vote to leave the EU, a series of xenophobic attacks against minority groups in public and online has stunned the country.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸