2. He began spinning. Slowly at first:
3. Then a little faster. WEEEEEEEEE, wait. WAIT
4. OOHHHH SHIT, NOPE, I WANT TO GET OFF THIS RIDE
Baumgartner “really thought [he was] in trouble,” he told reporters. The spinning had almost knocked him out, but had he pulled his smaller chute, for stabilization, he never would have broken the sound barrier.
For more on the jump, check out our GIF recap here.
[Clip from Austria’s ServusTV, via Business Insider]
- Italy declared a state of emergency in the regions hardest hit by Wednesday's earthquake. At least 267 people have died and 400 others were injured.
- And we asked tourists and locals in Nice, France, what the burkini ban means to them.