4. You’re sick of trying to explain to people that gender and sex are social constructs.
(9/22 Edit for Clarification) Ok, maybe gender… But is sex is a social construct? Most WGST majors will say - maybe. Because chromosomes, hormones, and physical differences were not studied without prejudice. Experts began research with the assumption that there are only two sexes. Had that not been the case, we might have a whole new approach to defining a person’s biological sex.
If you’re interested in the topic I suggest reading “Sexing the Body” by Anne Fausto-Sterling.
13. You’re thrilled at the prospect of raising a daughter (or a child of any gender) because you know you can DO IT RIGHT!
Can you say gender-neutral toys and advertising? HECK YEAH! My kids are getting that new toy: My-little-dream-army-robot-rainbow-car-care-center-battle-station.
15. …because there is “Men’s Studies.”
But wait? Doesn’t history study women, too? Of course. But the discourses of history books have been told exclusively by the privileged gender: men. Women’s studies is not an alternative, but an expansion of traditional historical study in which women are given a voice. (9/22 Edit for Clarification)
17. Judith Butler is both your best friend and worst enemy.
Judith Butler’s work is interesting. Either you have no idea what you’re reading, or you “understand” it to the point where you begin to question everything you’ve ever understood. It’s like the literary version of LSD.
- More than 35 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- German leader Angela Merkel said the UK can't expect to keep privileges once it leaves the EU.
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.