4. Lol Matt Pinfield trying to interview Oasis.
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT TRAINWRECK MATT.
6. The archive project started in 2003, when Tyler was still in high school and 120 Minutes had just been canceled.
NICE SHOE THROW, BECK.
“At the time, I was running a page with weekly playlists for 120 Minutes since MTV wasn’t updating their own site anymore,” he told BuzzFeed. “I got the idea to ask people to dig thru their boxes of old VHS tapes and send me classic playlists — somehow, it went viral and it took off.”
“Hundreds of people came together, dusted off those tapes, spent their time finding the videos, writing it all down and handing it to me to post. It’s been online and slowly building this whole time. Almost 13 years (and almost 1,000 playlists) later, here we are.”
8. The archive contains video playlists with links to most videos, for your viewing pleasure. You can browse by date, or search by band or video.
It also contains histories of what bands played, descriptions of tours the show appeared on, and anecdotes where possible.
Here’s Dave Kendall interviewing The Cramps, BTW.
10. THE LIST IS CRAZY EXHAUSTIVE and will throw you into a nostalgia k-hole. For instance, please enjoy this video from an April 1991 episode. It’s the Happy Mondays doing “Step On.”
11. Or maybe you’re more of a Sonic Youth, “Kool Thing” type.
From the May 1991 episode.
12. Nah? How about some International Noise Conspiracy from a December 2001 episode?
“It also appeals to people in their teens and early 20s because that era of music in the ’90s was so important,” Tyler told BuzzFeed. “It was the age of EVERYTHING alternative. Younger people coming up now who are a little left-of-center look back to that era as the stuff of legends, and are finding older bands they can connect with for the first time. This project helps people discover a lot of artists that nobody’s talking about anymore.”
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has confessed to the shooting, Istanbul's governor said
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Prime Minister Theresa May will set out a "hard Brexit" plan during a speech about Britain leaving the European Union.
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America by the Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.