Skip To Content

    The Rock Had To Put One Of His Puppies To Sleep After It Ate A Poisonous Mushroom

    "Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed."

    Sad news: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's puppy Brutus had to be put to sleep.

    His Instagram photo was accompanied by sober words of warning for other pet owners.

    At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace.

    As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.

    I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members.

    Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City.

    We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute.

    The Rock first mentioned that Brutus was sick on his Instagram two weeks ago.

    The world met Brutus and his brother Hobbs on Labor Day, after the two French bulldog puppies jumped into Johnson's pool and needed to be rescued.

    RIP Brutus. You were loved.