1. Earlier today Nicki Minaj took to Twitter to express her disappointment that “Anaconda,” which broke video streaming records when it was released last August, wasn’t up for Best Choreography and Video of the Year at this year’s VMAs.
The record-breaking clip was nominated in the Best Female Video and Best Hip-Hop Video categories.
2. She felt the video was snubbed, especially given its status as a meme.
5. In the middle of her Twitterstorm about what kinds of music videos and bodies are considered “award-worthy,” however, there was one tweet that seemed to single out a particular Video of the Year nominee.
6. Taylor Swift, whose “Bad Blood” video broke the streaming record set by “Anaconda,” took the tweet personally and responded.
7. Minaj, for her part, said that Swift was misinterpreting her comments.
8. And she retweeted fans who backed up her arguments.
9. She also wanted to clarify that her comment wasn’t about Taylor.
But the only other female performer nominated was Nicki’s friend Beyoncé.
10. But you could also look to Nicki’s faves for ~evidence~ of how she was really feeling.
11. Taylor tried to smooth over the Twitter brouhaha with this:
12. But then Nicki retweeted this:
14. And she’s using this exchange with Taylor as a ~teachable moment~.
16. And quickly followed it up with this tweet.
Taylor Swift issued an apology tweet.
21. And Nicki accepted.
- An American-Israeli teen has been arrested in Israel for bomb threats to Jewish community centers in the US, say the FBI.
- Republicans worked into the morning trying to finalize a deal that would allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for the London attack through its news agency, calling the assailant its "soldier."
- A Russian former MP and Putin critic was shot and killed outside an upscale hotel in Ukraine Thursday.