2. But rather than accept the award herself, she sent her friend Jesse.
3. “My name is Jesse,” he said, “and I’m accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth who are starving lost and scared right now. I know this because I am one of these people.”
4. As Miley looked on, Jesse told his story.
“I have survived in shelters all over this city,” he said. “I’ve cleaned your hotel rooms; I’ve been an extra in your movies. I’ve been an extra in your life. Though may have been invisible to you on the streets I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight.”
5. Miley Cyrus was overcome with emotion.
6. Jesse’s speech encouraged her fans to go to her Facebook page and donate to her Prizeo campaign.
- It's time: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will face off tonight at 9 p.m. ET in the first of three US presidential debates.
- Inside the final days of the FARC, Colombia's 50-year-old rebel group, which is on the verge of signing a peace treaty with the government.
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer has died at 87. Known as "The King," his unusual style and charisma changed the game.