2. But rather than accept the award herself, she sent her friend Jesse.
3. “My name is Jesse,” he said, “and I’m accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth who are starving lost and scared right now. I know this because I am one of these people.”
4. As Miley looked on, Jesse told his story.
“I have survived in shelters all over this city,” he said. “I’ve cleaned your hotel rooms; I’ve been an extra in your movies. I’ve been an extra in your life. Though may have been invisible to you on the streets I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight.”
5. Miley Cyrus was overcome with emotion.
6. Jesse’s speech encouraged her fans to go to her Facebook page and donate to her Prizeo campaign.
- The men who attacked Istanbul's main airport on Tuesday, killing 44 people, were from Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan.
- The Pentagon is repealing its ban on transgender people serving openly in the U.S. military.
- Adnan Syed, whose murder conviction was a subject of the "Serial" podcast, is getting a new trial.