2. But rather than accept the award herself, she sent her friend Jesse.
3. “My name is Jesse,” he said, “and I’m accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth who are starving lost and scared right now. I know this because I am one of these people.”
4. As Miley looked on, Jesse told his story.
“I have survived in shelters all over this city,” he said. “I’ve cleaned your hotel rooms; I’ve been an extra in your movies. I’ve been an extra in your life. Though may have been invisible to you on the streets I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight.”
5. Miley Cyrus was overcome with emotion.
6. Jesse’s speech encouraged her fans to go to her Facebook page and donate to her Prizeo campaign.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has confessed to the shooting, Istanbul's governor said
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Prime Minister Theresa May will set out a "hard Brexit" plan during a speech about Britain leaving the European Union.
- The police report featuring Kim Kardashian West's first-hand account of the Paris robbery has been released.