1. This is Mariah Idrissi. She’s one of the gorgeous new models featured in H&M’s latest campaign.
2. She’s the first-ever hijab-wearing model featured by the brand.
3. The 23-year-old London native was discovered by the Swedish brand after her casting-director friend Coralie scouted her.
Oh, her day job? Idrissi runs Salon Marrakesh, a Moroccan-inspired beauty salon, where customers can come in for henna tattoos, beauty treatments, and special halal nail polish manicures.
5. Idriss told Fusion that H&M went to great lengths to make her comfortable on set.
“[H&M] asked how much in terms of neck I could show, but to be honest they were very respectful,” she said. She was given a private dressing area and a female assistant to help her during the shoot.
“If the cameramen noticed something not quite right, they would call a woman over to fix me. One of the watches was dangling in the wrong way, and rather than just twisting it on my wrist, the cameraman asked a woman to come over. It just showed that little bit of respect.”
6. She’s also included in H&M’s “Close the Loop” video, which aims to encourage people to recycle their clothes.
The ad also includes a model with an amputation, plus-size models, and a group of Sikh men.
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- Apple is expected to unveil a handful of updates to its Mac line today, including a new MacBook Pro📱 🍎