2. Well, now she’s got company. You can add her tall, petite, and curvy friends to the club. Mattel just launched three new dolls aimed at making more body types and sizes available to Barbie fans.
3. The new 2016 Barbie Fashionistas line includes seven skin tones, 18 eye colors, and 18 hairstyles, in addition to the three new body types.
The initiative was aimed at pushing the brand to think about “progress not perfection,” Evelyn Mazzocco, the general manager of Barbie, said in a video for Time.
It was motivated by dwindling sales — sales of the toy dropped 16% in 2014 alone — and a weakening public perception of the brand.
“I think parents were saying that Barbie was a bad role model for girls, that she represents an unrealistic body type,” said branding and strategy consultant Jess Weiner in the video.
10. So far, the response to the new dolls has been mostly positive.
14. And other remained skeptical of Barbie’s new ~makeover~.
16. BuzzFeed has reached out to Mattel for comment.
- The FBI is investigating after 11 Jewish community centers across the United States received bomb threats on Monday.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎