1. This is Lainy Fredrickson. She’s a 21-year-old special needs student at Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma.
2. Last Friday, the Norman High girl’s basketball team was playing against their rival Norman North when attendees got to witness something special. In the final moments of the game, play stopped and Lainy scored the final two points of the game.
4. Lainy’s involvement on the team was spurred on by Norman High School senior Brennan Hockett, who piloted a program called Tiger Teammates, offering kids with special needs the opportunity to take part in school sports.
Brennan got the idea for the club because of her family’s involvement with the Special Olympic’s program. “Lainy has a great personality and great sense of humor,” Hockett told BuzzFeed. “I think people need to realize people with special needs can do everything we can do — it just may take them longer or take more explanation.”
5. Lainy’s mom Mona Fredrickson says last Friday’s game “melted her heart.”
“A lot of times the kids in high school get a bad rap, but the love was overflowing. They were all pulling for her to make that basket,” Fredrickson told BuzzFeed. “To see the reaction from the crowd and the rival team — they were cheering her on. It was awesome.”
6. “The girls treat her like one of them,” Fredrickson told BuzzFeed. “The girls love her, and she loves the girls.”
- President Trump will sign an executive order on Tuesday stopping the EPA's plan to limit power plants burning coal.
- Top Democrats are demanding House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes remove himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the election.
- The mayor of London has urged politicians in the European Union not to "punish" Britain for the decision to leave the European Union, stating a "bad Brexit" would hurt the EU too.
- Samsung announced plans to refurbish and sell some of the 4.3 million explosive Galaxy Note7 phones it recalled last year📱🔥