We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their best tips for saving money. Here are some of the most helpful tips they shared:
Note: Not all submissions are from Community users.
1. Pay yourself first.
2. Feel like you're spending too much for cable, phone, or internet? You might be.
3. If you're in the market for a credit card, use NerdWallet to find a card that makes the most sense for you.
4. Avoid spending your money on processed junk food by sticking to the outer ring of the grocery store.
5. And while you're at it, plan your meals for the week ahead of time.
6. Join ALL the rewards programs you can!
7. Be like Terry Crews and carry a photo to discourage spending.
8. Stop! Before you buy that fresh new thing online, download the free Google Chrome extension Honey. It works by scanning the 'net for tons of great deals, coupons, and discounts, and applies them directly to your items at checkout.
9. SAVE YO' RECEIPTS!
10. Use the Acorns app to save money every time you spend.
11. Or use Digit.co to save tiny amounts of money each day.
12. Your credit is important! If you get a ding on your credit, you can challege it by filing a dispute with TransUnion.
13. Create a weekly or monthly cash-based budget for yourself — and stick to it.
14. Unsubscribe from retail store sale emails!
15. If you're still in college (or you have a student ID that's still somehow valid), USE THAT SHIZ.
16. Continue to pay yourself, even after you've paid off your debt.
17. Buy in bulk when it makes sense — and if you have the storage space.
18. Keep your savings and checking accounts WAYYYYY separate.
Some entries were condensed for length or clarity.