1. There are a lot of questionable fashion choices at Coachella.
2. It’s a festival. You can expect people to be dressing like yeti space fairies.
3. And wearing generally regrettable things.
5. But you should definitely, at all costs, not being doing any of this:
10. Nah, son.
Ahem, Vanessa Hudgens.
14. Hell no.
15. No way.
17. Holy crap, NO.
19. Seriously, no.
20. And if you’re still unclear why wearing headdresses is messed up:
This brilliant essay on the website Native Appropriations breaks it down nicely.
Explains blogger Adrienne K., “The image of a warbonnet and warpaint wearing Indian is one that has been created and perpetuated by Hollywood and only bears minimal resemblance to traditional regalia of Plains tribes. It furthers the stereotype that Native peoples are one monolithic culture, when in fact there are 500+ distinct tribes with their own cultures. It also places Native people in the historic past, as something that cannot exist in modern society. We don’t walk around in ceremonial attire everyday, but we still exist and are still Native.”
And also, says Adrienne, ““Playing Indian” has a long history in the United States, all the way back to those original tea partiers in Boston, and in no way is it better than minstral shows or dressing up in blackface. You are pretending to be a race that you are not, and are drawing upon stereotypes to do so. “
21. That goes for you, too, Kardashians.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘