1. Introducing possibly the weirdest, coolest dessert you’ve ever laid eyes on: the “Raindrop Cake.”
The jiggly treat, created by New Yorker Darren Wong, is made from mineral water and agar (a gelatin-like substance made from algae).
It was inspired by a Japanese viral food sensation in 2014.
3. “It kind of reminds me of that scene from A Bug’s Life where they drink water drops off of leaves,” Wong told BuzzFeed. “There are very few foods that engage this many senses at the same time, which is what attracted me to this dessert in the first place.”
While it looks like it could easily pop, Raindrop Cakes can actually be sliced up like jello. But you have to eat it fast — it will melt into a puddle after a half hour at room temperature.
4. You’re probably wondering, But what does it taste like?
“It tastes like eating a giant raindrop, duh!” Wong said.
The “cake” tastes mild — pretty much like water — but can be topped with roasted soybean flour and brown sugar syrup for flavor. It is vegan and contains zero calories.
5. “They looked like a really cool and fun food experience,” Wong said. “When I discovered you couldn’t get them in the U.S., I went to work in making it myself.”
And it was no easy task. Wong spent a lot of time on cooking forums to get an idea of what was likely to work and then experimented with a ton of different gelatins and agars.
“The hardest was trying to figure out how to store and transport something so fragile,” Wong said. “That entails packaging each individual cake separately in its own protective cocoon until it’s ready to be served.”
6. Raindrop Cakes are now available at Smorgasburg in Brooklyn for $8, and while people are lining up in droves to eat for the ‘Gram, reviews so far have been mixed.
The general vibe seems to be that it looks cooler than it tastes.
“Would not spend $8 on it but would recommend to try it at least once for fun,” said one Instagrammer.
“Unsurprisingly watery tasting,” said another person who tried it.
“Looks like a breast implant,” someone else commented.
7. All of us right now:
9. Watch how it’s made here:
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝