1. Updated - 4:03 p.m. ET:
2. A plane from Kharkov, Ukraine, made an emergency landing in Istanbul Friday after an apparent hijacking attempt, according to reports.
NTV television said that an F-16 fighter plane was scrambled as soon as the pilot signaled that there was a hijacking attempt. The plane from Kharkiv, Ukraine, landed safely at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen airport.
Authorities snuck onto the plane and subdued the suspected hijacker while the other 109 passengers were being evacuated, Huseyin Avni Mutlu, the Istanbul governor, the Associated Press reported. The man was slightly injured during the struggle, but no weapons were used, according to the AP report.
Habib Soluk, the Turkish Transport Ministry undersecretary, told NTV that the man rose from his seat, shouted that there was bomb on board and tried to enter the locked cockpit.
“The man was made to believe the plane was heading to Sochi,” Soluk said. “We are hoping that the passengers are evacuated without even a nose-bleed.”
4. The Winter Olympic Games began Thursday in Sochi. The incident occurred as the opening ceremonies were taking place.
6. BuzzFeed has not received comment from the Turkish Foreign Ministry or Pegasus Airlines.
- Top Democrats are demanding House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes remove himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the election.
- After Donald Trump and the Republicans spectacularly failed to repeal Obamacare, Wall Street now realizes that massive tax cuts may not happen 😅 💸
- Over 18,000 households in Flint, Michigan, will receive new water lines, more than two years after dangerous levels of lead were found in the city's water supply.
- Samsung announced plans to refurbish and sell some of the 4.3 million explosive Galaxy Note7 phones it recalled last year📱🔥