1. She’s raised more than $16,000.
Shortly after the BuzzFeed story was published, Robles’ friend Dustin Kerns started a campaign on fundraising website Indiegogo to raise money to help Robles and her coach, Joe Micela, prepare for and travel to London. Since posting the link in our comments section and across the Web, he’s raised $16,000. (You can still donate here.)
3. She landed one new sponsor.
Solve Media has agreed to sponsor Robles for the London games. The online advertising company that serves brands like Toyota and Expedia hopes to raise Robles’s profile, too. (She had just one major sponsor — PowerBar — before the story appeared.)
7. She chatted with a few hundred Redditors about wanting to start a clothing line.
Robles did an IAmA session, and supportive Reddit users applauded her strength and sense of humor. When asked what famous person she would most like to meet, she said Weird Al. She also announced on Reddit that she’s considering starting her own line of athletic wear (she often blogs about the struggle to find workout clothes that fit).
8. A petition launched to get her on the cover of “Sports Illustrated.”
“By perpetuating beauty standards that, let’s face it, have little to do with athletic achievement, Sports Illustrated creates an artificial barrier to women who deviate from fashion-model good looks, no matter their sports achievements,” the Change.org petition reads. “By featuring the U. S. Women’s Weightlifting Olympic team on their cover, Sports Illustrated would be making a strong statement confirming their commitment to their true mandate; celebrating the achievements of great athletes, whether they look like swimsuit models or not.” It’s only got 64 signatures as of press time.
9. Tomorrow, she leaves for London.
So, go ahead and wish this Team USA star some luck. She competes on Aug. 5 — we’ll be watching.
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦