1. This tweet from the Associated Press caused some alarm Tuesday, just a week after the Boston Marathon bombings.
2. But right away, it was pretty clear the news was fake.
from here in the WH basement, this acct seems hacked RT @AP: Breaking: Two Explosions in the White House and Barack Obama is injured— E McMorris-Santoro
4. The @AP account was suspended within a few minutes.
5. And then this happened.
Here’s the #Dow in the 3min following the erroneous @AP tweet re: White House explosions. http://t.co/OZRA6CyhO3— Kayla Tausche
6. Other Associated Press accounts tried to do damage control…
That is a bogus @AP tweet.— AP CorpComm
The (at)AP twitter account has been hacked. A tweet about an attack at the White House is false. We will advise on acct. status.— AP Stylebook
8. But everyone made the same joke anyway.
Did you hack AP? AP would like to talk to you for a story.— Andrew Kaczynski
have you hacked the AP twitter feed? AP would like to speak to you….— Tim Dickinson
Did you hack the Associated Press’ Twitter account? @AP would like to speak with you for a story.— Jordan Fifer
Did you just hack @AP’s Twitter account? The @AP would like to hear from you!— Brian Beutler
Do you know how to change your Twitter password? The @AP would like to speak with you for a story. Yeah, “a story,” that’s it.— delrayser
Did you hack AP? AP would like to talk to you for a story.— Carly O’Shaughnessy
Has your twitter account been hacked? @AP would like to talk to you about making repetitive jokes.— Ross Neumann
(H/T to Dan Amira for some of the last few tweets.)
16. UPDATE: Could this be what led to the hacking?
The @AP hack came less than an hour after some of us received an impressively disguised phishing email.— Mike Baker
17. UPDATE 2: The “Syrian Electronic Army” has taken credit for the hack.
Ops! @AP get owned by Syrian Electronic Army! #SEA #Syria #ByeByeObama http://t.co/HTKoO6gIL6— SyrianElectronicArmy