Teresa Heinz Kerry, ketchup heiress and wife to Secretary of State John Kerry, was hospitalized around 3:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Noah Brown, spokesman for Nantucket Cottage Hospital in Massachusetts.
From the Associated Press:
[Brown] says Heinz Kerry came to the facility in critical condition, and remains that way, although she has been stabilized.
“At this point, we are determining the next phase of her care, be that either in our facility on the island, or on the mainland,” Brown further said, according to The Boston Globe.
Heinz Kerry, who is 74, was staying at the family’s vacation home. It was later reported that she suffered symptoms consistent with a seizure.
3. Update: Heinz Kerry has been moved to the larger Massachusetts General Hospital.
Greta Van Susteren
Was just told Teresa Heinz being flown to Mass Gen from Nantucket right now
State Dept. official @globeglen says Teresa #Heinz Kerry flown to Mass. General, asks “for privacy at this time.”
5. Update — Monday, July 8: Heinz Kerry’s condition has been updated from critical to fair.
“After conducting tests overnight and this morning, doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital have upgraded Mrs. Teresa Heinz Kerry’s condition from critical to fair,” Kerry spokesman Glen Johnson said. “She is undergoing further evaluation, and Secretary of State John Kerry, her son, and other family members remain with Mrs. Heinz Kerry at the hospital in Boston.”
A source at the hospital tells NBC News that Heinz Kerry suffered a grand mal seizure.
“It’s an electrical storm in the brain,” said Dr. Nathan Fountain, director of the F.E. Dreifuss Comprehensive Epilepsy Program at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va. The effort of a seizure can be compared to running a 100-yard dash, and it leaves the patient exhausted and disoriented, he added.
- More than 90 people have died in Indonesia's earthquake, officials say. Thousands of rescuers are being deployed to the hit area.
- Fake news fools most Americans who read it — and Facebook is a major source, a BuzzFeed News survey has found 📰❌
- A refrigerator is being eyed as the possible origin of the fire at an Oakland warehouse party that killed 36 people, a law enforcement official said.
- An adorable 3-year-old boy proudly covered his kitchen with carrots in the greatest carrot heist of all time 😂👏