2. In a statement, Entergy New Orleans’ president and CEO Charles Rice says he “regret[s] the interruption,” which was caused by an equipment failure.
The [electrical relay] device was specifically installed to protect the Mercedes-Benz Superdome equipment in the event of a cable failure between the switchgear and the stadium.
While the relay functioned without issue during a number of high-profile events – including the New Orleans Bowl, the New Orleans Saints–Carolina Panthers game, and the Sugar Bowl – during Sunday’s game, the relay device triggered, signaling a switch to open when it should not have, causing the partial outage.
This device has since been removed from service and new replacement equipment is being evaluated.
3. During the Super Bowl, Entergy officials dodged blame for the outage, insisting that they were continuing to feed power to the Superdome.
Charles Rice, who announced Tuesday that his company and Superdome management would hire outside experts to investigate the outage.
4. Here, two tweets sent from the corporate account while the stadium was dark:
We are working with Superdome officials to troubleshoot the issue. Power is being provided to the building.— Entergy
At all times, our distribution & transmission feeders were serving Superdome. We continue working w/ Superdome to address any issues.— Entergy
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He thought two of them were Middle Eastern, but they weren't.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝