1. Park Geun-hye, 60, is the daughter of the late President Park Chung-hee. She’s a trained engineer who has served as a representative in the National Assembly since 1998.
Her father, Park Chung-hee, served as South Korea’s leader for 18 years after seizing power in a 1961 military coup. He was assassinated in 1979. Geun-hye’s mother was also murdered a few years earlier when a bullet aimed at the president hit her instead.
3. Here she is on Dec. 4, debating against Lee Jung-hee (Unified Progressive Party) and Moon Jae-in (Democratic United Party).
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Plotters of Turkey's failed coup were unhappy with the government's attempt to make peace with Kurdish separatist rebels, a document obtained by BuzzFeed News shows.
- More than 29,000 people have signed a petition for British scientists to keep access to EU projects after Brexit.