2. The Boy Scouts of America is reportedly in the “final stages” of eliminating its policy excluding gay members and leaders. Spokesman Deron Smith confirmed the discussions to NBC News’ Pete Williams.
Smith says the decision to welcome gay members would now be up to local Boy Scouts units, rather than the national organization.
“The chartered organizations that oversee and deliver scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with their organization’s mission, principles or religious beliefs … The Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members or parents. Under this proposed policy, the BSA would not require any chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organization’s mission, principles or religious beliefs.”
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.