2. After seven days, the 65-year-old man who kidnapped a 5-year-old boy after killing a bus driver in Midland City, Alabama, has reportedly died. CBS broke the news first.
BREAKING NEWS: A U.S. official says Alabama hostage situation is over: kidnapped child is alive, kidnapper is dead http://t.co/s2drA6vF— CBS News
Over the last 24 hours, negotiations with suspected kidnapper Jimmy Lee Dykes “deteriorated,” officials said Monday, and he was seen with a gun. Around 3 p.m., officials stormed the bunker and rescued the boy. He was immediately taken to the hospital for an examination, though he reportedly appeared unharmed. It’s still unclear how exactly Dykes died.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has confessed to the shooting, Istanbul's governor said
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Prime Minister Theresa May will set out a "hard Brexit" plan during a speech about Britain leaving the European Union.
- The police report featuring Kim Kardashian West's first-hand account of the Paris robbery has been released.