From the Associated Press:
Prosecutors want James Holmes executed for last year’s attack on an Aurora movie theater.
They announced their intention to seek the death penalty against Holmes in court on Monday.
Last week prosecutors said they rejected an offer from Holmes’ attorney to have him plead guilty to avoid the death penalty. Prosecutors said the offer to have Holmes spend life in prison wasn’t a serious attempt at plea bargaining.
Holmes is charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder for the July 20 assault on a midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” that killed 12 people and injured 70. His attorneys are expected to argue that he was legally insane at the time of the shooting.
A judge entered a not guilty plea on Holmes’ behalf last month.
3. James Holmes’ trial is now set for February 2014.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- It's not just you. A massive attack has brought down major sites like Twitter and Spotify for some users in the US.
- At least 26 people have been treated by medics after a chemical incident at London City Airport.
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.