United States Postal Service trucks in Manhasset, New York, in August 2012.
Postal Service to announce plans to slash Saturday deliveries starting this summer, CBS News has learned http://t.co/vYys8R9O— CBS News
3. A formal announcement is expected to come Wednesday, but the Postal Service has been moving toward eliminating Saturday service for a while now. From the USPS website:
Quite simply, there is much less mail to be delivered, yet costs to deliver the mail continue to rise. Eliminating one day of delivery will save the Postal Service as much as $40 billion during the next 10 years.
The details of the plan:
All other products and services will be available to customers doing business at a Post Office on Saturday:
No Saturday street address delivery, except Express Mail deliveries will continue
Post Offices that are currently open on Saturday would remain open. Mail accepted at Post Offices will be processed on Monday, except Express Mail
Delivery will continue to Post Office boxes Monday–Saturday
Continued availability of remittance mail that is PO Box addressed 7 days a week
No scheduled box collections Saturday/Sunday, except Express Mail collection boxes
No processing of outgoing mail on Saturday, except Express Mail
Continue Saturday and Sunday acceptance of bulk mail and entry of drop shipments at facilities currently open
Continue to process incoming mail every day
Continue to transport outgoing, in-transit mail during weekends between plants and network distribution centers
- Bomb threats were called into Jewish centers in at least 13 states today, making it the fifth wave of threats since January.
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝
- The suspect in a Kansas shooting that left an Indian man dead thought he was shooting Iranians, and the FBI is investigating as a possible hate crime.
- "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳