The aftermath at the Benghazi consulate.
Recently surfaced emails indicate the State Department knew two hours after the Sept. 11 attack on a U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that an Islamist militia group had claimed responsibility for it.
At the time, U.S. officials said they believed the attack — which killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American workers — was a spontaneous protest against a U.S. filmmaker’s offensive Muhammed movie that turned violent.
Intelligence agencies did not publicly confirm a militant link until Sept. 28.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton maintained Wednesday that the Facebook post referenced was not hard evidence that the Ansar Al-Sharia group was behind the attack.
“Posting something on Facebook is not in and of itself evidence,” she said. “I think it just underscores how fluid the reporting was at the time and continued for some time to be.”
Also on Wednesday, an Egyptian man known as Hazem was killed during a clash in Cairo. Hazem had just returned from Libya and was suspected of being part of the attack, according to the Associated Press.
Elsewhere, a Tunisian man named Ali Harzi was sent back to his country to face terrorism charges after being arrested in Turkey earlier this month.
Two more emails released Wednesday shed light on how the State Department received information about the attack:
- Criticized previously for not forcefully speaking out, Donald Trump condemned anti-Semitism after bomb threats were reported at 11 Jewish centers.
- President Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- West Elm pulled the Peggy Couch from its site after years of scathing customer reviews and complaints of buttons popping off 🙈