From NBC New York, which broke the news this morning:
Law enforcement sources tell NBC 4 New York Smith was allegedly involved in a plot to try to get onto this year’s GOP mayoral ballot by offering payments to Republican county chairmen.
The five others arrested include New York City Councilman Dan Halloran, Spring Valley Mayor Noramie Jasmin, Spring Valley Deputy Mayor Joseph Desmaret, and two Republican county chairmen — Joseph Savino and Vincent Tabone.
The New York Post has more details on the alleged fixing plot:
Smith was trying to buy off Republican leaders because he needed the party’s support in at least three boroughs in order to run as a GOP candidate without even changing his own party affiliation, the sources said …
To get on the GOP ballot, Smith allegedly enlisted Halloran, a Republican, to set up meetings with party leaders and negotiate thousands of dollars in bribes. The money was masked as payments for legal and accounting services, sources said.
Halloran allegedly collected thousands in bribes for himself along the way, the sources said.
According to reports, Mayor Jasmin was arrested for apparently taking bribes related to a village land sale. It’s unclear how that case is related to Smith’s. The New York Times reports the three others — county chairmen Savino and Tabone and deputy mayor Desmaret — were arrested for their knowledge of the respective plots.
According to Smith’s website, he currently serves a number of roles within the state Senate, including vice chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and co-chair of two committees on Sandy relief. He was also the president pro tempore from 2008 to 2010.
Smith has represented his Queens district since 2000.
3. UPDATE - April 2, 11:30 A.M.: At a press conference Tuesday, authorities connect the Smith and Jasmin cases.
In Rockland Cty, the Mayor & Deputy Mayor are charged w/ corruption over a real estate deal that Smith allegedly agreed to aid #live— SDNYnews
4. They also revealed City Councilman Halloran’s alleged motivations for helping Smith.
Halloran, a former NYC police officer, harbored dreams of becoming deputy police commissioner in a Smith Administration #pressconference— SDNYnews
5. And detailed the county officials’ alleged roles in the scheme.
All told, $80K in cash was promised or paid to Bronx Republican Party leader Joseph Savino & Queens leader Vincent Tabone #live— SDNYnews
- Trump's home and golf club near Washington, DC have security cameras inside and out, monitored from New York, insiders say.
- Donald Trump alleged Alicia Machado of being in a sex tape, calling her "disgusting, but he's appeared in a softcore porn.
- Seven bee species have officially been listed as endangered in the US. Losing them could have a devastating effect on the ecosystem.