SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Officials say a man who went on a shooting rampage in Santa Monica, Calif., began the rampage by killing his father and brother.
Meanwhile, a police spokesman says five people, including the gunman, are dead. Police said earlier that seven people were killed, including the gunman.
Two officials briefed on the investigation say the killings Friday began as a domestic violence incident.
The area of shooting still active
CBS Los Angeles
#UPDATE: @MargaretCarrero reports victim saw a man “dressed all in black” w/semiautomatic weapon and a belt full of ammo around waist #SMC
#KTLA witness in neighborhood says she saw heavily armed man leaving scene of the fire in Santa Monica & also shoot a woman in a passing car
The gunman reportedly then opened fire on street corner, hitting several vehicles, including a public bus.
Bus with bullet holes off Cloverfield and Olympic. @Venice311
President Obama spoke in Santa Monica earlier today, about three miles from where the shots were fired. Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Obama “will motorcade back to the Los Angeles airport to avoid any impact on the ongoing local response to the shooting in the area.”
Update: Friday, June 7, 2013 - 7:44 p.m. ET:
The Associated Press
BREAKING: Santa Monica fire official says 2 men dead in burned home near shooting scene outside college.
BREAKING. @CBSNews Correspondent Carter Evans says the Santa Monica shooting suspect is dead.
Update: Friday, June 7, 2013 - 11:38 p.m. ET:
BREAKING: Santa Monica gunman’s brother, father believed to be first victims, police say (@LANow)
BREAKING: Santa Monica PD now say 5 people killed, including gunman.