The Associated Press
BREAKING: Attorneys: Suspect in Colorado theater shootings will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
3. Holmes’ current plea is a standard “not guilty,” entered automatically by a judge in March. But the suspected theater shooter’s legal team will formally request to change the plea on May 13. Here’s the court document filed Tuesday:
If the insanity plea is accepted, Holmes — who has a history of psychological treatment — will be put into a state hospital for examination, the AP reports.
- The White House defended rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized its use.
- A researcher with Human Rights Watch was denied entry into Israel earlier this week with the country's government calling the human rights organization "propaganda."
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at Coachella, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while pregnant 🐝😭