1. This is a 29-year-old man convicted in Shiraz, Iran, of being part of a 10-member burglary gang.
2. His sentence is three years in prison, confiscation of property, and the amputation of three fingers.
3. Last Thursday, his amputation was carried out in Shiraz’s public square.
5. His annoucement is believed to be an attempt to prevent protests leading up to June’s election.
- Verizon and unions representing 39,000 workers have reached an agreement that should end the largest U.S. strike in since 2011.
- Twenty-three athletes who competed in the 2012 Olympic Games in London have failed retrospective doping tests, officials say.
- Barack Obama became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the site of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima, Japan. The "memory of August 6, 1945 must never fade."