On Jan. 4, Tammy Holmes and her grandchildren — ranging in age from 2 to 11 — took refuge under a jetty in the Tasmanian town of Dunalley while a fire destroyed about 90 homes.
6. Here, the family explains the story behind the photos:
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."