This is Mantoloking, New Jersey, a barrier island town pummeled by storm Sandy throughout Monday and early Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, a natural gas fire rekindled in the evacuated borough, wreaking even more havoc. Firefighters are apparently unable to reach the scene because of flooded roads. At least 14 homes have already been destroyed.
3. Smoke from Mantoloking, as seen from neighboring Brick:
4. Mantoloking on Tuesday, after the brunt of the storm:
9. The Mantoloking Bridge, before and after:
top Google Maps, bottom Julio Cortez/AP
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will visit Pearl Harbor in Hawaii later this month — the first Japanese leader to do so.
- Donald Trump has picked retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson to be his secretary of housing and urban development.
- The far-right candidate in Austria's presidential election has conceded defeat, obstructing the advance of the global populist movement in Europe.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏