The massive fire broke out around 6 p.m. Tuesday at Kansas City’s JJ’s Restaurant, according to reports. Neighbors said they smelled gas before hearing the explosion, which reportedly sent debris flying 100 feet into the air.
3. UPDATE - Feb. 19, 11:34 p.m.: Contractor struck an underground gas line triggering the fire.
Update: Missouri Gas Energy statement says “early indications” are a contractor struck an underground gas line triggering #PlazaFire blast— NBC News
5. The Mayor has also provided updates about the explosion:
Fire is mostly under control. Chief Berardi and Gas Co now working to prevent secondary explosions. Our FD is doing a fantastic job!— Mayor Sly James
Pray for the people on the plaza, folks. Everybody please stay calm and away from the Area. responders need room to work.— Mayor Sly James
7. JJ’s Restaurant issued the following statement:
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺