1. The remembrance event, sponsored by Mayors Against Illegal Guns:
Jane Dougherty’s sister, Mary Sherlach, was killed during the Newton mass shooting.
Saturday, July 20, is the anniversary of the shooting where 12 people were killed and 70 injured.
Rose Richards, with her son Jake, listens to a names of gun violence victims.
Steve Barton, a survivor of the Aurora theater shooting.
Pastor Del Phillips of the House Worship Center prays for victims.
Tom Sullivan, whose son Alex was killed in the Aurora shooting; Carlee Soto; Connie Sanders, daughter of Dave Sanders, killed in the Columbine shooting.
9. The gun rights rally, held a quarter-mile away:
Seth Walters, left, a staffer for the gun rights group Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, works a promotional stand.
Colorado candidate for governor Tom Tancredo wears an NRA hat.
James Rybolt, carrying a .45 Colt pistol.
- A state of emergency was declared in Baghdad as protesters breached the fortified "Green Zone," home to most ministries and embassies in the city.
- At least five people were killed as intense flash floods swept through parts of Texas.
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯