1. A hot air balloon caught on fire above Luxor, Egypt, killing several foreign tourists Tuesday. Witnesses said they saw the balloon crash into a sugar cane field after hearing a loud explosion.
The launch site shortly before the balloon explosion.
4. Eighteen people died and three were injured, according to the Ministry of Health.
A victim of a balloon accident is seen in a body bag.
5. The local balloon operators’ spokesman and General Mamdough Khaled, Luxor Governate’s director of security, said only two people survived.
Egyptians inspect the site where a hot air balloon exploded.
6. The victims reportedly include nine from Hong Kong, four from Japan, two from France, two from Britain, and two who haven’t yet been identified.
Rescue workers inspect the scene outside al-Dhabaa village.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, was grilled by Democrats over his time leading a mortgage company that carried out over 36,000 foreclosures.
- Senegal says it has sent troops into Gambia in an attempt to remove President Yahya Jammeh, who has refused to step down since losing reelection in December.
- A majority of American adults get news from Facebook, according to a new survey by BuzzFeed, but only 18% of respondents said they trusted news from Facebook. ✋ 📰