After a series of angry Facebook updates, Andrew W.K. has released a full statement on “his side of the State Dept. controversy.”
W.K. claims to have received an e-mail from the U.S. Department of State in September 2011 asking that he deliver a motivational lecture in Bahrain. He accepted, and his appearance was scheduled for Dec. 1 after a lengthy approval process.
On Monday morning, he was sent his official itinerary. Later that day, he was notified by phone that the trip had been canceled because of some “higher level controversy.” W.K. wasn’t given a specific reason, but State Department spokesman Noel Clay later told Salon that the invitation was “a mistake and not appropriate.”
- Authorities are removing Dakota Access pipeline protesters blocking roads and camped on private property.
- Apple just unveiled lighter, thinner MacBooks with touch-sensitive panels for instant emoji access (and other uses) 💻✨
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀