1. American Kenneth Bae, a tour operator, has been detained in North Korea for six months and was recently sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for “hostile acts” against the state. North Korea has been vague about the nature of his alleged crimes.
Many have speculated that this sentence could be a ploy to get the U.S. to send over a high-profile diplomat.
3. But this is probably not what anyone had in mind.
“Do me a solid”? “Cut him loose”? I’m going to go out on a limb and say if we send somebody to negotiate an international geopolitical issue, it shouldn’t be a guy who uses slang like a 1990s guidance counselor.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏