1. American Kenneth Bae, a tour operator, has been detained in North Korea for six months and was recently sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for “hostile acts” against the state. North Korea has been vague about the nature of his alleged crimes.
Many have speculated that this sentence could be a ploy to get the U.S. to send over a high-profile diplomat.
3. But this is probably not what anyone had in mind.
“Do me a solid”? “Cut him loose”? I’m going to go out on a limb and say if we send somebody to negotiate an international geopolitical issue, it shouldn’t be a guy who uses slang like a 1990s guidance counselor.
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Plotters of Turkey's failed coup were unhappy with the government's attempt to make peace with Kurdish separatist rebels, a document obtained by BuzzFeed News shows.
- More than 29,000 people have signed a petition for British scientists to keep access to EU projects after Brexit.