1. In the bottom of the 9th inning with one out and the Yankees down a run to the Baltimore Orioles, the game was on the line. New York decided to pinch-hit for the highest-paid mediocre baseball player in history: the ice cold A-Rod.
2. Yankees manager Joe Girardi chose instead to go with the power-hitting outfielder off the bench, Raúl Ibáñez.
3. It’s not that Ibáñez isn’t good, but he’s old, and has been relegated to the bench this year. His best days are decidedly behind him.
You can tell that A-Rod was super excited about that decision.
4. But then…
5. Ibáñez hits it out! Tie game!
6. Even A-Rod looks happy!
7. No seriously, he was really impressively gracious! He was the first one up in the dugout to meet Ibáñez.
9. “Natural” isn’t often in the same sentence as “A-Rod.”
10. Then Mariano Rivera seemed to make fun of A-Rod, and that made him super serious again.
But for that one fleeting second, it seemed as though a breakthrough might have happened. Fittingly, Mariano was there to close the door on that. (The injured closer had thrown out the first pitch before the game.)
11. The game stayed tied until the bottom of the 12th inning, when…
12. Who came to the plate, but Mr. Raúl “I hardly make over a million dollars a year, while A-Rod makes 20” Ibáñez.
13. And what do you know…
14. HE DID IT AGAIN!!!
15. The cameraman had the good sense to use beer advertising to add some commentary.
16. It was a moment that had everything:
17. The celebratory helmet toss!
18. The mob at home plate!
19. The sad opposing manager!
Sorry Buck Showalter. Not your night.
20. And most importantly an unlikely hero, who will not soon be forgotten.
Congrats, Raúl. What a night.
With the win, the Yankees take a 2-1 series lead on the Orioles.
- Sean Spicer today said "his intention is never to lie" as White House press secretary, a pledge that came after making false claims this weekend about Trump's inauguration.
- President Trump signed an anti-abortion executive order that reinstates the so-called global gag rule, barring foreign organizations taking US money from providing abortions.
- The new Trump Hotel in Washington, DC, has lost more than $1 million and is in violation of Donald Trump's lease with the government, say Democratic lawmakers.
- The all-day breakfast boom at McDonald's is over as sales once again continued to fall for the fast food giant 🍳 📉